The downside is that it highlighted (ha!) how awful the lighting in our kitchen is. The one source of light is (was) a big fluorescent fixture that looked alarmingly industrial; something you'd see in a State office building or something. Of course we have to replace it! The first order of business was to take it down and see what kind of wiring we were dealing with.
|At least it was very sturdy.|
But I replaced that black wire, and another one you can't see, with brand new 12/2 wire. It was quite a production up there, trying to dig down between the beams to find the wires and following them to their source. Then Ryan would attach the new wire to the end of the old wire in the outlet and the ceiling, and I pulled it all up. I am incredibly sore today. It was like those bootcamp pictures you see of soldiers crawling through the mud under barbed wire. Okay, maybe not that bad, but you get the idea!
Today we put in the new fixture and hope we did everything right! I REALLY don't want to go back up there today.